Barriers to Online Learning

I chose the article “Student Barriers to Online Learning: A Factor Analytic Study” by Muilenburg and Berge, because I was interested in the weekly writing question that asked whether the online environment holds instructional challenges that are distinct from the traditional classroom. The Muilenburg and Berge (2005) article was written to address the possible barriers that students might encounter in online learning. The purpose of their study was to identify which students would face barriers when attempting to learn online, what those barriers would be, and how individuals can be helped in their learning by understanding and ameliorating their particular obstacles (Muilenburg & Berge 2005).  I felt that the study addressed what the perceived barriers to online learning are, but failed to adequately identify which students would face the barriers or how those obstacles could be overcome.

This was a large scale study (n=1,056), that was mindfully constructed after an initial pilot study was conducted to refine the barriers chosen for study. The authors chose 11  independent variables to represent the perceptions of the students surveyed. These included: gender, age, self-reported ethnicity, type of learning institution they attended, ability and confidence with online learning technology, learning effectiveness in the online environment, learning enjoyment in the online classroom, the number of online courses completed, the number of online courses dropped, likelihood of taking an online course in the future, and whether or not students experienced prejudicial treatment in the traditional classroom due to cultural background, disability, or other personal characteristic (Muilenburg & Berge 2005). The overall results indicated that the greatest perceived barriers to online learning were a lack of social interaction, administrative/instructor issues, time and support for studies, and learner motivation. Surprisingly, respondents rated a “lack of technical skills and academic skills” as very low obstacles to learning online (Muilenburg & Berge 2005).

I thought this article was informative and the study was well designed. I was not surprised that the greatest perceived barrier to online learning was a lack of social interaction. This is something that I have experienced when taking online courses myself. I think that instructors have come a long way in trying to ameliorate this barrier and the improvements in technology have allowed for better synchronous and asynchronous online social interaction. However, I do feel that something is lost when students cannot interact with their instructor and peers synchronously. Perhaps this perception diminishes with the number of courses taken as indicated by the study. The study was successful in collecting a relatively conclusive set of responses on student perceptions of barriers and I was impressed by the results showing a dramatic decrease in perceived barriers amongst students who had taken one online course.

The study did not adequately identify the students that face online barriers, primarily because the methods for selecting respondents were based on electronic mailing lists for people involved or already affiliated with online instructions. The survey respondents were primarily graduate students, which might be better equipped through experience and previous education to overcome some of the learning barriers that exist. The study also showed the respondents were overwhelmingly female and caucasian/non-hispanic.   The study raises excellent questions but should focus on students that experience barriers. If the authors wish to test if students of different gender and ethnicity may experience greater barriers to online learning, than these user groups should be better represented. Selection of the respondents could have been done in a more balanced way. I think that further study could focus on the perceptions of secondary students, at-risk students and more freshman undergraduate students. If the purpose of the study is to identify students with potential barriers, it seems natural to target students that may be new to online learning or more likely to drop online courses. I also think that it would be interesting to survey  online educators to see if they have the same perceptions as their students.

The study also fell short in its proposed goal of determining how barriers to online education could be overcome. The authors suggest that educators provide better, more frequent social interaction in courses, but fail to suggest practical means to doing so. While the authors themselves indicate that none of the results in the study indicate causation and that further analysis is needed, some immediate steps to increasing social interaction might be scheduling more online discussion and using collaboration tools such as VoiceThread or Google Hangouts.

While the study is just a beginning in identifying barriers to online learning it does offer valuable insights into the perceptions of students and encourages educators to provide better social interaction opportunities within their courses to create greater confidence in, and retention of students.

Works Cited

Muilenburg, Lin Y., and Zane L. Berge. “Student Barriers to Online Learning: A Factor Analytic Study.” Distance Education 26, no. 1 (May 2005): 29–48.

8 thoughts on “Barriers to Online Learning

1. lsowa

An interesting article, and an insightful review. I am aware of quite a bit of skepticism and even disdain from some higher education faculty members regarding online courses. It can be difficult for those of us who attended school before the advent of online courses and teach in traditional face-to-face classrooms to envision what teaching and learning could really look like in an online course. Last year I took my first 3-credit online course, and then co-taught an online course for the first time in the Spring. While I felt I had an open mind to the idea, and an appreciation for the need and demand for online learning, my understanding of the specific benefits, and challenges, of online learning increased greatly with these experiences. Returning to the idea of novices vs. experts, having at least one direct experience with online learning helps tremendously in evaluating the pros, cons, and possibilities.

As you describe, the study result that students rated “lack of technical and academic skills” as a barrier is not surprising since the study population was primarily graduate students… indicating they have already completed an academic degree and thus are likely to have relevant experience. A closer look at specific populations would provide better, more actionable information.

2. Bob

The overall results indicated that the greatest perceived barriers to online learning were a lack of social interaction, administrative/instructor issues, time and support for studies, and learner motivation. Surprisingly, respondents rated a “lack of technical skills and academic skills” as very low obstacles to learning online (Muilenburg & Berge 2005).

I have to say I am perplexed by these results. How are these barriers unique to online education? I recall a great loneliness in many classroom classes where the teacher lectured, questions may even have been asked and answered but no sense of social interaction was achieved. I wonder what “administrative/instructor issues” really means? We of course have the happy luxury of Brighton Brook’s cheerful e-mails helping us navigate the UAF administrivia, but other organizations do not. I suspect that is part of what this is about, but again how is that unique to online courses? Perhaps this is as well a breakdown in technology support — where “lack of technical skills and academic skills” is not a barrier we have to imagine that this is more subtle, or more gross then operator error. However, why again is this an issue particular to online education? I see large and small technology issues daily in the residential campus I work at. I see customer service fumbles regularly too. What does “time and support for studies” mean? Is this the cost of tuition? Online courses and face-to-face courses cost very similar amounts. Is this struggling to fit coursework around real life? How can that be…? I mean the course is online hence is available 24/7 and with the pervasiveness of mobile devices available anywhere the person can get wifi… so what does this mean? I wonder as well how “lack of social interaction” connects with “learner motivation.” I have seen lack of social interaction sink online courses and I have seen it work just fine — so I want to ask more questions here. What were the differences between the failures and the successes? I have also taken online courses where social interaction… forums even (wink) was required and the class was terrible because the skill level differential between students was too extreme. This failing is not about social interaction this failing was about administrative/instructor issues but the symptom was seen in social interaction. Again, I want to ask are these barriers unique to online learning or is “learner motivation” a more pervasive problem? I can’t imagine classroom teachers ever encounter motivation issues, right?

I am afraid this article perplexes me. Perhaps I will have to read it.

Great questions, Bob. I look forward to hearing the thoughts of some of your peers on these. Also, I’d like to come back to some of these during our upcoming synchronous session.
      -owen

2. Jenny

Bob,
      Thank you for your insightful comments. I agree that most of these issues are not exclusive to online learning. As a teacher at an alternative high school I am well aware that motivation issues transcend the method of course delivery. I don’t think that the authors described their intention well, with this particular aspect of the study. I believe that they were trying to establish whether peer interaction, perhaps worked as a motivational factor in course completion. At the time of the study, I wonder what types of online venues for interaction were available to the instructors.

To answer your question “What does “time and support for studies” mean? Part of the study was dedicated to part time community college students, that were considered to be already in the work force and often had families. I think they were trying to quantify the relationship between time dedicated to study and to other commitments.

Jenny, nice review. While I’m curious as to your thoughts on some of Bob’s questions, I’m also curious as to what you think regarding the timeliness of this article. Does it matter that this is now about nine years old. Probably the research is at least a decade old. Does timeliness matter when it comes to research about online education? Which gets to the larger question, how much do things really change?

I like that you pointed out that they chose a research sample comprised mostly of grad students. Some significant sample bias there. One might retitle the study, barriers for grad student online learning… 🙂 and would you also then have to have a subtext identifying the subject areas and socioeconomics of the sample? …and on and on. Where does it end?

How would you design a study, in research utopia, to determine barriers to online learning?

4. Drawing paper

If you’re inclined on concepts of life and death then you can definitely find different
    designs offered by tattoo galleries. Flowwers can be found in a variety of colors, if you add stems and vines, you can fiind a wonderful custom tattoo design. The ttheater wass built bby Torbay Council in itts complete redevelopment of Princrss
    Gardens and Princess Pier.

5. Emmanuel Love

Hey, how’s it going?

I want to pass along some very important news that everyone needs to hear!

In December of 2017, Donald Trump made history by recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Why is this big news? Because by this the Jewish people of Israel are now able to press forward in bringing about the Third Temple prophesied in the Bible.

Jewish Rabbis have publicly announced that their Messiah will be revealed in the coming years who will be a leader and spiritual guide to all nations, gathering all religions under the worship of one God.

Biblical prophecy tells us that this Jewish Messiah who will take the stage will be the antichrist “who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God” (2 Thessalonians 2:4). For a time he will bring about a false peace, but “Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (Matthew 24:15)…then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be” (Matthew 24:21).

More importantly, the power that runs the world wants to put a RFID microchip in our body making us total slaves to them. This chip matches perfectly with the Mark of the Beast in the Bible, more specifically in Revelation 13:16-18:

“He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666.”

Referring to the last days, this could only be speaking of a cashless society, which we have yet to see, but are heading towards. Otherwise, we could still buy or sell without the mark amongst others if physical money was still currency. This Mark couldn’t be spiritual because the word references two different physical locations. If it was spiritual it would just say in the forehead. RFID microchip implant technology will be the future of a one world cashless society containing digital currency. It will be implanted in the right-hand or the forehead, and we cannot buy or sell without it. Revelation 13:11-18 tells us that a false prophet will arise on the world scene doing miracles before men, deceiving them to receive this Mark. Do not be deceived! We must grow strong in Jesus. AT ALL COSTS, DO NOT TAKE IT!

“Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name” (Revelation 14:9-11).

People have been saying the end is coming for many years, but we needed two key things. One, the Third Temple, and two, the technology for a cashless society to fulfill the prophecy of the Mark of the Beast.

Visit http://WWW.BIBLEFREEDOM.COM to see proof for these things and why the Bible truly is the word of God!

If you haven’t already, it is time to seek God with all your heart. Jesus loves you more than you could imagine. He wants to have a relationship with you and redeem you from your sins. Turn to Him and repent while there is still hope! This is forever…God bless!

“EITHER HUMAN INTELLIGENCE ULTIMATELY OWES ITS ORIGIN TO MINDLESS MATTER OR THERE IS A CREATOR…” – JOHN LENNOX

We all know God exists. Why? Because without Him, we couldn’t prove anything at all. Do we live our lives as if we cannot know anything? No. So why is God necessary? In order to know anything for certain, you would have to know everything, or have revelation from somebody who does. Who is capable of knowing everything? God. So to know anything, you would have to be God, or know God.

A worldview without God cannot account for the uniformity and intelligibility of nature. And why is it that we can even reason that God is the best explanation for this if there is no God? We are given reason to know or reject God, but never to know that He does not exist.

It has been calculated by Roger Penrose that the odds of the initial conditions for the big bang to produce the universe that we see to be a number so big, that we could put a zero on every particle in the universe, and even that would not be enough to use every zero. What are the odds that God created the universe? Odds are no such thing. Who of you would gamble your life on one coin flip?

Is there evidence that the Bible is the truth? Yes. Did you know that the creation accounts listed in the book of Genesis are not only all correct, but are also in the correct chronological order? That the Bible doesn’t say the Earth was formed in six 24-hour days but rather six long but finite periods of time? That the Bible makes 10 times more creation claims than all major “holy” books combined with no contradictions, while these other books have errors in them? The Bible stood alone by concurring with the big bang saying, “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth” (Genesis 1:1); and says our universe is expanding, thousands of years before scientists discovered these things. Watch a potential life-changing video on the front page of http://WWW.BIBLEFREEDOM.COM with Astronomer(PhD) Hugh Ross explaining all these facts based on published scientific data. He has authored many books, backed even by atheist scientists.

Jesus came to pay a debt that we could not; to be our legal justifier to reconcile us back to a Holy God; only if we are willing to receive Him: “For the wages of sin is death…” (Romans 6:23).

God so loved the world that He gave us His only begotten son, so that whoever believes in Him, through faith, shall not perish, but have everlasting life. Jesus says if we wish to enter into life to keep the commands! The two greatest commands are to love God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind; and your neighbor as yourself. All the law hang on these commands. We must be born of and lead by the Holy Spirit, to be called children of God, to inherit the kingdom. If we are willing to humble ourselves in prayer to Jesus, to confess and forsake our sins, He is willing to give the Holy Spirit to those who keep asking of Him; giving us a new heart, leading us into all truth!

Jesus came to free us from the bondage of sin. The everlasting fire was prepared for the devil and his angels due to disobedience to God’s law. If we do the same, what makes us any different than the devil? Jesus says unless we repent, we shall perish. For sin is the transgression of the law. We must walk in the Spirit so we may not fulfill the lusts of the flesh, being hatred, fornication, drunkenness and the like. Whoever practices such things will not inherit the kingdom (Galatians 5:16-26). If we sin, we may come before Jesus to ask for forgiveness (1 John 2:1-2). Evil thoughts are not sins, but rather temptations. It is not until these thoughts conceive and give birth by our own desires that they become sin (James 1:12-15). When we sin, we become in the likeness of the devil’s image, for he who sins is of the devil (1 John 3:8); but if we obey Jesus, in the image of God. For without holiness, we shall not see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14).

The oldest religion in the world is holiness through faith (James 1:27). What religion did Adam and Eve follow before the fall? Jesus, Who became the last Adam, what religion does He follow? Is He not holy? He never told us to follow the rituals and traditions of man but to take up our cross and follow Him (Luke 9:23). There are many false doctrines being taught leading people astray. This is why we need the Holy Spirit for discernment. Unlike religion, holiness cannot be created. It is given to us from above by the baptism of the Spirit. Jesus is more than a religion; He is about having a personal relationship with the Father. Start by reading the Gospel of Matthew, to hear the words of God, to know His character and commandments. Follow and obey Jesus, for He is the way, the truth, and the life!

6. Brook

And that last thing is key, because no matter how good an event is, nothing makes an event great just like the
    perfect, personal party decoratipns you choose.
    Youu can go to viusit to get a DVD Creator too generate
    your photos iin to a DVD. In this Shahrukh Khan has played role just as the one played in Supe Hero.